Tuesday, September 6, 2011

We like to Eat

One of the perks of living in Phoenix/a big city is there are a lot of really good places to eat. This is great for us because we love to eat out. Conrad and I like to drive around and look for mom and pop type restaurants. We try to find a new one each time we go out to eat. On Labor Day we went to two of our now top 5 favorite places to eat here in Phoenix. Yes, we ate out twice in one day. Like I said, we like to eat out.

We owe a big thank you to our friends the Barkers for inviting and introducing us to a breakfast place called Over Easy.

It is so good that this "Guy" (no pun intended) went and did a review of it on his show "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives."




Here is the clip they did on Over Easy. It will make your mouth water.



It was SO busy, we had to wait 30 minutes to get a table and then another 20 for the food but it was worth it.


Outside the restaurant with Daniel, Charbel and their adorable baby Benji



So excited to try the food!


Conrad got the chicken fried steak. He said it was the best chicken fried steak he has ever tasted.

Turns out there are like 10 other restaurants in Phoenix that have been featured on the show... Ummmm YES we will for sure be hittin up those places ASAP!


About 5 hours after stuffing our faces at Over Easy we went to a little Diner called MacAlpines for dinner. This was a random but very good find. I LOVE this place, it was built in 1928 so it is one of the oldest restaurants in Phoenix. It is fun because it is also an antique shop. It is full of authentic antiques and vintage clothes. Like I said so cool. When you walk in its like you have stepped back in to the 1950's. LOVE IT.



Back when they first opened up in the 20's Soda Fountains were huge. So they are known for their MANY soda flavors. They have 99 flavors you can choose from. Some of these flavors include:
Red Velvet Cake which is what is in the pic above, and what I got.
Pistachio
White Chocolate chip
Wedding Cake
Dill Pickle- nasty I know
Strawberry Cheese Cake... and so on

Not only do they have 99 flavors of soda but they also have different kinds of soda you can choose from which are:

Regular soda
Phosphate
French Soda
Italian Soda
Egg Cream
Milk Shake.

Oh yeah and its free refills!

I got the red velvet as a french soda SO good. Conrad got Wedding Cake egg cream. It too was good.


There are so many antiques everywhere on the wall. I would still go if the food was crappy just to look at all the cool stuff. Such a cute little place.

Here is what someone wrote about the experience they had at this place and they pretty much took the words right out of my mouth:

Wow! A real, old fashioned soda parlor! Whoa, look at all this vintage stuff! Hey, check out the menu! Oh yeah I love this kind of candy, I haven't seen this in forever! Oh maaan 99 flavors of soda what the whaaat!

Mmm.. pina colada soda, wait, the butter pecan is even better! No, taste the margarita! Wait, they're refillable! AHHH!!!! VANILLA COKE! BUBBLEGUM! MORE BUTTER PECAN! HEY THERE'S CHOCOLATE! GIVE ME AN IRISH CREAM FLAVOR! PUT CARAMEL IN IT! ANOTHER CARAMEL, THIS TIME WITH CHOCOLATE! WE HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED THE ICE CREAM, WE NEED THIS ONE WITH ICE CREAM IN IT. MORE ICE CREAM YUM THRIFTY ICE CREAM!!!!!!!

Holy shizznit, that soda.... 'twas nothing but awesome... I don't feel so good.

*passes out in the car*

Arrives home.

*passes out for fifteen hours*

Awakens with a stomach ache but remembers MacAlpines fondly while taking 3 Ibuprofen. Goes back to sleep.

hahahaha! love it such a true statement.




Of course we had to get a pic of us there!


This is the view we had sitting at our table. This is just part of the antique store, they have a lot more stuff.


Just like an authentic 50's diner. It is the fun easy going atmosphere I love about this place.


And that was our Labor Day fun/pig out :)

6 comments:

  1. we definitely have to try all the yummi drinks! thanks for coming i love your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda- yes! come visit! and then I can come visit you and you can teach me how to surf :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I found your blog! And I'm so glad Ryan and I aren't the only ones obsessed with going out to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jo I am so glad you found it too! I have a confession I have been stalking your blog for a little while and I love it! I was happy to find out too that you guys like to eat out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous Patty here
    I love this post! "Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" is one of my favorite Food Network Shows! I love Guy! Keep exploring the food scene and when we come to visit (I am not sure when that will be) you can give us the tour!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete