Monday, September 26, 2011

Cockroaches & lizards & scorpions oh my... I'm gonna cry

I am glad we don't plan on living in Arizona the rest of our lives because I don't think I could handle it.

I thought I was scared of spiders... Turns out spiders don't seem too bad compared to what you see here in Arizona.

Saturday night I went with some girls in my ward to the General Relief Society broadcast. We went to get dessert after. We somehow got on the topic of finding little or not so little creatures in our homes. I heard several terrifying stories.

Story #1- One of the girls husbands was getting out of the shower and put a towel around him, he felt something crawling down his back... it was a COCKROACH! it was just hanging out in his towel!

Story #2- My friend's husband was getting into bed and felt a sting on his foot... yes there was a scorpion in their BED! in. their. BED!

Story # 3- My same friend's sister in law was sleeping on an air mattress at her house. She woke up to a scorpion on her arm!

Story # 4- Another one of the girls found a lizard in her tub.

All I could think about was, at least I haven't come across any lizards or scorpions in my apartment.

A few months back I encountered some cockroaches in our apartment and I was ready to move out. We got it sprayed and I haven't seen any since. THANK GOODNESS.

Hearing these stories made me extra paranoid. On Sunday I wanted to wear my boots to church. As I was ready to put them on I thought, what if there is a scorpion just waiting to sting me? I pretty much convinced myself there was a scorpion in my boots, so I settled for sandals instead.

The very next night after hearing the stories, I was walking through the hallway into our living room and I just happened to look down. When I did, I saw this little creature right at my feet.



I made a little/loud shriek, ran and jumped onto the nearest chair. Conrad looked at me like I was crazy. I said there is a LIZARD on the floor and I almost STEPPED on it! It was blending in with the carpet but its eyes were bugging out. That is what caught my attention. I made Conrad put a cup over it and then scoop it up with a piece of paper.

Funny thing though, Conrad was almost as jumpy as I was. I said, "You are supposed to be the brave one." and he said, "Hey! I never played with lizards in Idaho when I was a kid." Apparently playing with them as a kid would have made him less jumpy. Can't blame him, that thing was fast! He got it onto the paper successfully and took it outside.

Pretty sure those stories jinxed me. I am terrified that it is only a matter of time before I come across a scorpion. I now check my bed three or four times before getting into it and I look down at my feet when I walk around our apartment.

It's official I am completely paranoid and I am too much of a wuss to be living here.

3 comments:

  1. Ha ha- Hailey that is hilarious. You totally freaked yourself out. Although, I admit, when I heard Brittany's story about the scorpion a few months back, I checked my sheets before going to bed every night. (Still do I guess). I try to be sneaky about it. I don't want Seth to know I check every night. Ha ha-- he would think I was crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA! Oh my goodness I love everything about this post. Especially that the lizards eyes were "bugging out" :) You are so funny! (And I check my sheets every night too.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't blame you - I hate critters in my house! Mice are my greatest fear - I have had several run-ins with mice! Scorpions sound like they would be even worse than mice!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete