I am so excited right now... Most of you know that I got my degree in Communicative Disorders and that I want to work in the field of Speech Language Pathology. Well the entry level for the profession is a Masters. It is pretty hard to find a job in that profession with only a Bachelors degree. I would like to go on and get my masters eventually but right now it just isn't the most convenient time for me to go with Conrad in Law School and all.
I have been searching for a year now trying to find a speech tech job or a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant job (SLPA). The SLPA thing is pretty new to the profession. Utah does not have SLPAs and Arizona just started hiring them two years ago. The requirements to get a license and practice as an SLPA is Bachelors degree and 100 clinical hours. Well I already have my BA I just needed to find an SLP that would work with me on my 100 clinical hours. That was so frustrating! everywhere I called they told me they didn't hire SLPAs or they didn't have time to do the hours with me grrrrr!
I was starting to get really discouraged and pretty much was ready to give up on the SLP profession altogether. I had been praying about it for awhile and was feeling like I wasn't really getting any answers. I decided to fast about it on Sunday two weeks ago to help me figure out what to do. Not even kidding, the very next day I was driving down a street and noticed a building that said Head to Toe Speech Therapy Clinic. I looked it up online and called the number. I talked to the owner and she said she can help me get my 100 hours and after that I could start working for them in home health!!! and then eventually I can work with them in the clinic if I wanted!! I was overwhelmed with excitement I was so giddy and hyper I started to do a little happy jig which looked a little something like this.....
I have been searching for a year now trying to find a speech tech job or a Speech Language Pathologist Assistant job (SLPA). The SLPA thing is pretty new to the profession. Utah does not have SLPAs and Arizona just started hiring them two years ago. The requirements to get a license and practice as an SLPA is Bachelors degree and 100 clinical hours. Well I already have my BA I just needed to find an SLP that would work with me on my 100 clinical hours. That was so frustrating! everywhere I called they told me they didn't hire SLPAs or they didn't have time to do the hours with me grrrrr!
I was starting to get really discouraged and pretty much was ready to give up on the SLP profession altogether. I had been praying about it for awhile and was feeling like I wasn't really getting any answers. I decided to fast about it on Sunday two weeks ago to help me figure out what to do. Not even kidding, the very next day I was driving down a street and noticed a building that said Head to Toe Speech Therapy Clinic. I looked it up online and called the number. I talked to the owner and she said she can help me get my 100 hours and after that I could start working for them in home health!!! and then eventually I can work with them in the clinic if I wanted!! I was overwhelmed with excitement I was so giddy and hyper I started to do a little happy jig which looked a little something like this.....
Ha ha ha I LOVE Monk. This is probably one of my favorite scenes from the whole series. I instantly thought of this scene when I found out I got the job. I watched this scene over and over and laughed twice as hard each time I watched it. Conrad and I like to joke around and do it to try and get each other to laugh. Conrad is way better at doing it then I am. Oh if only I could record him doing the Mr. Monk jig and post it for all to see ha ha. He looks so funny, the first time he did it I almost peed my pants from laughing so hard. If you haven't seen Monk I would highly recommend it.
Anyway, I am going to start working on my 100 hours with an SLP in the clinic on monday! The sweet thing about working as an SLPA is that I get to do therapy and screenings(which is the fun part) I just can't diagnose and I don't have to deal with all the paper work which is fine with me. The Clinic I will be working at is called Head to Toe therapy and I will get to do the home health part of it. I love this profession so much and I feel so blessed and grateful for this opportunity. I know it wasn't just a coincidence that the day after I fast I find this clinic and find a job.
Anyway, I am going to start working on my 100 hours with an SLP in the clinic on monday! The sweet thing about working as an SLPA is that I get to do therapy and screenings(which is the fun part) I just can't diagnose and I don't have to deal with all the paper work which is fine with me. The Clinic I will be working at is called Head to Toe therapy and I will get to do the home health part of it. I love this profession so much and I feel so blessed and grateful for this opportunity. I know it wasn't just a coincidence that the day after I fast I find this clinic and find a job.
To celebrate, on Friday I went shopping with the girls that I work with at the Preschool as kind of a last hoorah before I leave for my new job! I mentioned before that the food here in Phoenix is good well the shopping is great here as well. I love it! Food and shopping, my two favorite things! :) We went to Fashion Square Mall in Scottsdale. Its only like 25 minutes away from me :). It is the biggest mall in the midwest. It has every store you can think of. It is GREAT ha ha. It's a pretty ritzy mall and has got all the high end stores as well. I can't buy anything from those stores of course but it is still fun to look. Anyway we had a lot of fun.
Me and my friend Fabi from work. No I did not buy anything from here. I wish ha.

Yes like everyone else I love H&M and I love that there is one close to me!
This is "Anonymous Patty"-
ReplyDeleteWOW - I love your story of how you got your new job! That is awesome - I am so proud of you!!! We will have to have Conrad do the "Monk Dance" when you guys come for Christmas! Have you ever gotten him to do the "Chicken Dance" fo you?
"Anonymous Patty"
Ha ha yes Conrad does a pretty good Monk dance. I still have not seen his chicken dance he won't do it for me...
ReplyDelete